Processes and Methods Pilot Grant Program
Key Upcoming Dates:
Next grant cycle will be available August 2019
This pilot grant mechanism enables investigators at all levels to explore ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the processes and methods used in clinical and translational research.
This 2-step pilot grant program is designed to support clinical research professionals as well as patient advocacy groups at a local, regional, or national level. Examples of previous awards have included funding for research designed to improve complex data acquisition and harmonization methods as well as innovative methods for improving recruitment of underrepresented minorities and vulnerable populations.
The Processes and Methods grants awarded in this cycle will provide seed funds of up to $5,000 for developing a long-term (2 to 5 year) research proposal focused on advancing specific processes and/or methods deemed important to Clinical and Translational Research. Awardees will have 4 months to produce a more complete 6-page research proposal that includes background, specific aims, significance and innovation, and approach sections, along with an estimated budget not to exceed $40,000/year in direct costs.
Care should be taken to include relevant details on expected outcomes, algorithms, programming software languages, staffing/training needs, dissemination plans, as well as the specific areas of science that are likely to be improved with the proposed processes/methods. The full, 6-page proposal must identify early results/deliverables to be produced by the end of the first year. The full proposals will be reviewed by members of the CCTST executive committee as well as a panel of external peer reviewers.
Proposals are encouraged in the following areas:
- Methods for improving use of the Electronic Health Records in research
- Methods and processes to facilitate the application of the revised Common Rule in Research involving Human Subjects
- Methods and processes to improve the likelihood of success in academic/community partnerships
- Previously submitted proposals to the CCTST Processes and Methods Grants Program that received external reviews but were not funded may be re-submitted: use the one-page proposal format to outline how the revised full proposal will respond to the reviewer comments received in the previous cycle.
Applications will be accepted from faculty or staff from all UC campuses, the Academic Health Center (including CCHMC, UC, VAMC, UCMC), or any of the regional colleges/universities including Xavier, Mount Saint Joseph, NKU, Thomas More, and Miami. This program is also open to members of the Greater Cincinnati community and patient advocacy groups at a local, regional or national level. Advanced degrees (MD, PhD, MD-PhD or equivalent) are not required for eligibility. Collaborative groups of investigators spanning disciplines and programs are strongly encouraged. Submissions from underrepresented and minority investigators are also encouraged. Applicants must be CCTST members. Join free of charge.
Submission and Award Details
The one page application and required documents must be submitted as a single pdf file through the CCTST Competition and Awards Program (CCAPS) site by the deadline date. Funding requests of up to $5,000 are acceptable for this stage, and it is anticipated that up to 6 preliminary proposals will be funded to proceed to the full proposal stage. Awardees will then have 4 months to create a full 6-page proposal designed to improve a specific process or method deemed important to clinical and translational research. From this group of awardees, up to 3 meritorious applications will be selected for funding with a maximum direct cost cap of $40,000 for a 12-month period. Awards at stage 1 of this funding mechanism will be made within 1 month of the deadline and must be fully utilized by December 31, 2018. Further instructions will be provided to investigators who are funded to develop the preliminary proposals.
LOIs and invited full applications must be submitted through the CCTST Competition and Awards Program Site (CCAPS). Log in using your UC (“6+2”) or CCHMC username and password.
Questions? Email Krista Newland or call 513-803-5593.
- August 2018 Step 1, Year 4 Table of Awardees
- August 2017 Stage 1 Grants—Table of Awards (Year 3, Cycle 1)
- Processes and Methods Awards—January 2017 Submission (Year 2, Cycle 3)
- Processes and Methods Pilot Grant Program RFA (July 1, 2016 deadline)
- Processes and Methods Pilot Grant Program RFA (March 1, 2016 deadline)
- Processes and Methods Pilot Grant Program RFA (January 1, 2016 deadline)
- Processes and Methods Pilot Grant Program RFA (November 1, 2015 deadline)